Monday, May 2, 2016

Forget Disney World. Berlin is the happiest place on Earth.

Fast forward to any number of years from now and Berlin will still be one of my most vivid memories I have from my time abroad. From the friendliness of its people to the entertainment flowing through the streets, Berlin is by far the most fun place I have been this far and somewhere I was extremely surprised by. Berlin started simply as a cheap place to go for a weekend but I'm not sure a spur-of-the-moment decision could have ever played out as well as this one did.
Berlin Wall

Our first full day in Berlin began with a typical, free walking tour to see the more touristy side of the city. Our tour guide showed and explained to us the heartbreaking history behind the Berlin Wall and the remnants of the Nazi occupation and Holocaust throughout the city. We also visited the famous Brandenburg Gate, Museum Island, a memorial to those murdered in the Holocaust, Checkpoint Charlie, and places where Hitler himself once stood. After our tour however, we went off on our own to explore the city in our own way. I think it is safe to say this part resulted in some food along the way. ;)

Did I mention I found Crème brûlée, too?


I was thoroughly impressed with the delicious German food we found during our time in Berlin. On our first night in town, we stumbled upon a very German eatery just around the corner from our hostel that served over 100 kinds of beer (I got a Sprite) and the best schnitzel I have had so far on this trip! It was served with a fried egg on top and baked potato wedges that were even better than they sound (YUM). Throughout our weekend in Berlin, we also found some heavenly Mediterranean food, German sausage, and plenty yummy European breakfast!




Our time in Berlin was filled with plenty of culture in more ways than one, but one of my favorite moments was a late night walk along the shore of the river that turned into salsa-ing with some locals on a makeshift wooden dance floor. Okay, so maybe I wasn't the one doing the salsa or a 3 step under the lights, but I sure did enjoy being a spectator to another portion of Berlin's thriving culture. 

Now, on to the main reason Berlin was the experience that it was: May Day. Unknowingly, we had planned our trip on the weekend of one of the biggest celebrations I have ever seen and on a holiday I have never really thought twice about back in the States. Lucky for us, May Day is definitely a celebrated holiday in Berlin and in a huge way. In addition to the number of locals that join in on the celebration, over 45,000 people travel from around Europe to Berlin specifically for this event each year. My best attempt at describing the pure insanity of this place is PEOPLE EVERYWHERE. Food, live music, dancing, a few German drinks, DJs, and thousands upon thousands of fun-loving Europeans showing the Americans the right way to celebrate a holiday! All in all, it was an experience of a lifetime and yet another thing you all need to add to those European bucket lists of yours. 

50,000 of my closest friends
Partner in crime
Germans are fun
You may not think its possible or be sick of me saying this, but I fell in love with yet another European city. I loved Berlin in a different way than any of the previous places, though. I loved Berlin because of its constantly filled streets at any time of the day and most of the night. I loved it for its people and its diversity. I loved it for its history but also for the city. More than anything, though, I loved Berlin purely for its atmosphere. Not a whole lot can top the feeling of being in a crowd of over 50,000 Europeans surrounded by good music, good food, good drinks, and good friends. It truly is a very entertaining city and this trip was one I won't soon forget. From museums and history to walking along the river or joining in on the local May Day festivities, there is truly something to spark anyone's interest. 


UNTIL NEXT TIME, BERLIN!

Memorial for Jews murdered in the Holocaust
Brandenburg Gate


Site of Hitler's bunker/where he committed suicide

No comments:

Post a Comment