Monday, May 16, 2016

Another weekend, another city


The best way to describe Paris is that it is exactly as you would expect it to be: dirty, busy, touristy, and expensive. But, also an extremely beautiful city filled with plenty to do and so many remarkable sights to see. Unfortunately, we weren't blessed with the greatest weather which put a bit of a damper on things, but it was still a great weekend surrounded by great company!



Now, don't get me wrong when I say Paris is 'dirty and touristy' because it does have its fair share of beauty too, but in my opinion it is a very average city. I definitely sensed the romantic side of the city and enjoyed all the sights we had the opportunity to see, but it just didn't surpass my expectations of being just another pretty city filled with tourists. The one thing that surprisingly did surpass my expectations, however, and the most beautiful part of Paris in my opinion, was the Eiffel Tower. Pictures simply cannot give this monument any justice. At first sight, my only thought was simply how massive it is. Then my mind wandered to how intricate and beautiful it truly is. The amazing part about the Eiffel Tower isn't simply its magnificence, either; its surroundings and its environment play a huge role in the effect. I think my favorite part, however, is everyone from tourists to locals, families to lovers, even kids to the elderly, enjoying this incomparable view together.

The next thing to add to that travel bucket list of yours is to see this baby lit up at night. Immaculate. Impeccable. Incredible. All of the above. Especially in reference to when it twinkles at the top of the hour every hour between 10pm-1am. Now that, plus a bottle of famous Parisian rosé wine, is something you all have to experience at least once in your life time (or in our case, 3 times). It truly is not comparable to anything I have ever seen and because I was surrounded by such wonderful people, a memory I won't soon forget.

I know what you're all thinking, but, don't worry, I promise my blog isn't going to be entirely about the Eiffel Tower (though I really could go on forever). Surprisingly, we did a lot more on our trip than just sit and stare at the Eiffel Tower ;) Our first day in the city began bright and early with Versailles and its gardens which are known as the musical gardens because of the water shows put on by the fountains throughout. Even with our weather not being the greatest, I thoroughly enjoyed this part of our trip and can't begin to imagine what they're like in warmer weather!


Next on the list: a free walking tour. Unfortunately, this part of Paris was slightly subpar as well. In comparison to the awesome free walking tours we've taken in every other city we've visited in the past, this one just didn't live up to expectations. We were given lots of interesting information and history on our tour but saw very little of the city. This left us to see the rest on our own, which we didn't mind! We visited the Arc de Triomphe, the Eiffel Tower, one of the famous lock bridges, Notre Dame, passed by the Louvre, Moulin Rouge, and the Latin Quarter. 





Finally, the most important part of our trip: THE FOOD. Crepes, pastries, and wine galore! But holy cow did I enjoy it. From sweet to savory, Paris definitely had the cuisine for me. I did my best to try a little of each thing the city and the French are "known for" and hit almost everything we could think of. Surprisingly, I think my favorite was the savory side of French cuisine. Cheese, cheese, and more cheese. AKA right up my alley :)

To sum it all up, it was a cold, crazy, wonderful weekend in Paris, but it would not have been the same without a few of my favorite traveling buddies! Now, headed to Bohemia tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment