Saturday, June 18, 2016

Back to Reality

To say I procrastinated this blog is an understatement. Between not being able to come to terms with the fact that my adventure is actually over and the entire experience still not quite feeling completely real yet, I’ve had a long list of excuses helping me put this blog off to the very last minute. But, finally, on the day its due (sorry Kathy), here it is! The very last blog.
According to my professor, this blog is meant to be one of reflection. What I learned, what surprised me, what I liked and didn’t like... you get the point. I’m struggling with this topic though because I can’t seem to wrap my brain around the fact that my 3 months abroad went by so fast and that I will never have an opportunity quite like that again in my life. It was an incredible, life changing 3 months, which makes coming back to good ol Kearney, Nebraska that much harder. I missed so much of the little, wonderful American things like not eating out for every meal, free water, ENGLISH, ice, free refills, driving (this is a huge one!), and many other things, but once you’ve traveled to 11 countries and 19 cities in just under 3 months, reality hits you pretty dang hard. Don’t get me wrong though, I did miss so many of the comforts of home such as finally sleeping in a comfy bed larger than a twin, eating homemade meals <3, finally having a schedule, and being busy again. The best part about being home, though, is definitely being back with the people in my life that mean the most to me. My friends and family did an incredible job of helping me fight the homesickness while I was in the Czech Republic and always making me feel loved even from 5,000 miles away, but they have been more than I could have ever asked for since I’ve been home!
            Though all of these things are great, there will be so many things I will, and already do, miss about Europe. At the very top of this list is Olomouc, the place that became my second home and where I met some of the greatest people of my entire trip. I miss my roommates, who were a big part of why my time abroad was such a success. I miss my awesome professors who were so extremely knowledgeable and passionate. I miss the delicious food. I miss the sheer independence that comes with studying abroad. I miss the cheap cost of living. I miss being that engulfed in history and in culture. I miss constantly being surrounded by the 25 Americans I grew so close with.  I miss the ease of travel. I miss traveling 2 hours and finding ourselves in a new country. I miss the adventure. But most of all, I miss the simplicity of life.
            Studying abroad taught me so much more than I had ever hoped about myself, about the world, and about what lays outside of Kearney, NE. My time in Europe made me learn to appreciate everything and everyone around me. I became more grateful for the opportunity I had and realized how lucky I was to have the people I had waiting for me at home. I learned to be independent and grew so much as a person in such a short amount of time. I don’t know if I truly noticed this change in myself until I was home and back in the real world, but I’m slowly starting to recognize the different perspective I have gained on life. My priorities are in a whole different realm from where they were prior to my trip. Things that used to seem important begin to turn a bit mediocre once you have been out on your own in the real world, faced with real problems, and experienced some of the world’s problems firsthand.
            Being home is the definition of bittersweet. Europe stole a big piece of my heart when I left and really was a dream come true, but I am so happy to be back to regular life. Since arriving home, I have definitely jumped right back into this "regular life." Sami's American life now consists of nannying all day and Old Navy all night. With that being said, I think it is safe to say that European life was a lot more fun ;). It isn't all bad though! I have had a blast catching up with friends and family since I've been back. Between them helping me indulge in all of my American favorites and feeling overwhelmed with love, it feels good to be home <3

Until next time, Europe!
          If any of you reading this have ever had the thought of studying abroad cross your mind, go out and DO IT. Apply today. I can wholeheartedly say that based on the people I met, the places I saw, and the irreplaceable memories I made, it was the best decision I could have made. Now, for those of you that still may be a bit hesitant, think of it this way… When will you ever be able to travel like this again? When will you be able to receive 12 credits while traveling all throughout Europe with 25 of some of your soon-to-be closest friends? So, go. Go experience the world. Go find yourself.


My welcome home crew



No comments:

Post a Comment